Accommodation for visiting paddlers
There are many local options for accommodation when visiting Mareeba for the Barron River Challenge. Paddlers and their support crews are encouraged to stay overnight and use the facilities at Bilwon Farms, the halfway stop for the BRC50.
- Bilwon Farms: At the finish of the 20km Race on the banks of the Barron River. Free Camping Friday and Saturday nights.
- Facilities include area for caravans, camper vans and tents, and under-cover swag camping is also available
- Some bunks are available and must be booked through the race committee (own linen required)
- Hot showers, toilets and communal kitchen facilities
- BBQ dinner and hot breakfast provided free for paddlers and low cost for supporters
- Mareeba Country Caravan Park: Emerald End Road /7 km downstream on the banks of the Barron. 07 40923281 (convenient for that last minute paddle)
- Kerribee Park camping grounds (Rodeo Grounds): Dimbulah Road/ 07 40921654 (Quiet, spacious area)
- Jackaroo Motel: 340 Byrnes Street, Mareeba/ 07 409222677
- Cairns Beaches: Trinity Beach Club/ 07 40556776 (ask for paddling deal on the holiday appartments, the northern beaches are a must prior to or after the BRC50)
- Cairns is around one hour by road from Mareeba and less than half an hour from Kuranda if you are staying on the coast.
For more information: